BRACAnalysis® is a genetic test that requires only a blood sample to determine whether a patient has a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, indicating a predisposition to hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC). Once genetic risk is identified, there are specific management strategies that can be employed for early detection, risk reduction and possible prevention of these cancers.
Benefits of Genetic
Not only does BRACAnalysis® genetic testing enable the physician to take a proactive management approach with clearly identified at-risk patients, but it can also enable clinicians to:
- Avoid unnecessary interventions in family members who have not inherited a known familial mutation
- Target increased surveillance and other interventions to individuals with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation - maximizing patient care while increasing clinical efficiency
- Counsel patients and family members on the underlying cause of cancer.
Finally, if cancer does develop, patient outcomes are likely to be significantly improved and medical costs reduced by early diagnosis and treatment.
- Proprietary automated robotics systems that decrease the chance of human error in the analysis and ensure specimen integrity
- The Myriad Reimbursement Assistance Program (MRAP) that assists patients in maximizing their payment options for genetic testing
- Professional support specialists who are available via e-mail and telephone to answer clinical tions.
For more information on BRACAnalysis®, the genetic test for patients who may have a predisposition for hereditary breast or ovarian cancer, call Myriad Genetic Laboratories at 1-800-469-7423. Order a test kit.